Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Term 2 Reflection

Hi, my name is Marie Domingo and I’m here to talk about my term 2 reflection. I did well on the percent unit because it was the easiest for me. The percent problems took me at least 2 minutes to finish each. I understood it so fast! Also, I perfected most of my tests and quizzes. One thing I struggled with at first were making nets for prisms and cylinders. Even if Mr. Harbeck taught us how to draw them, it still confused me. But by lots of practice, I was able to draw nets more quickly and accurately. Next term, I will try to ask more questions and further my answers. Also, I want to perfect all my tests and quizzes.


In term 2, we learned about getting the percent of numbers and how to solve percent word problems. One method I really liked was using t-charts. Also, we converted fractions, decimals, and percents. I didn’t understand how to convert them at first, but after a while I was able to get it.


Another unit we focused on was surface area. All 3D objects are measured in square units. We learned how to make nets of prisms and cylinders using grid paper. A net turns a 3D object into a 2D object. A rectangular prism has 6 faces, and each face is a rectangle. There is a front, side, and top view of each rectangular prism. A triangular prism has 5 faces. 3 of the faces are rectangles while 2 of them are triangles. A cylinder has 3 faces. 2 are circles, and one of them is a rectangle. As I said, the hardest for me was making the nets. It was difficult to transform a 3D object into a 2D object containing all sides. Though, I was able to understand it after doing a few more nets!


The last thing we learned in term 2 was volume. The volume of an object is how much space the object can take. The formula to find the volume is v = area of base x height. For a rectangular prism, you would have to multiply the length and width together to find the area of base. For a triangular prism, the formula would be base x height / 2 x height. The base of the triangular prism is a triangle, and it cannot be anything else. For a cylinder, the formula to find the volume would be v = pi r r h x height. I didn’t have any trouble with this unit. This one was pretty easy to understand.


The difference between surface area and volume is that surface area is the area of the prism or cylinder’s faces. Volume is the area of how much an object can take. Basically, surface area is the area of the outside, and volume is the area of the inside.




Listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment