Thursday, February 17, 2011

Demvry's Textbook Homework

Pages 258-261
Questions 18 and 19

Question:
18.Suki has 30 small linking cubes.
a)She wants to use 18 of them to make a large cube. Is this possible? Why or why not?
b)What number of linking cubes would she use to construct the largest cube she can possibly make?

Answer:
a)I say this is not possible because I think there is no whole number that could be cubed to be able to equal 18.
b)She would probably need to use 27 cubes to make the largest cube possible (3x3x3).



Question:
19.Melissa has three glass vases. She wants to use one as a decorative fish tank for Harvey the guppy. Which will give Harvey the most water to swim in.


Answer:
The volume of the one shaped as a cube is 343cm2.
The volume of the one shaped as a rectangular prism is 360cm2.
The volume of the one shaped as a triangular prism is 367.5cm3.

According to the volumes, the triangular prism would've the most water for Harvey the guppy to swim in.

Here are some videos!
Volume of a cube!


Volume of a rectangular prism!


Volume of a triangular prism!


Here is a link to help you understand it better!
http://www.math.com/tables/geometry/volumes.htm


Inform me if I made a mistake or tell me what I could improve on. Thanks.
Ps - If the letters are over or undersized, ignore it and I'll try to find a way to fix it. If I can't, I'm sorry.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome job D.P! Your work is very organized and is clear to read. I like the videos you have put in, and also your pictures. I like the way you have important words highlighted with a lighter and different font colour. A heads up for next time is maybe you should add a video of yourself, that would be pretty cool, but your overall work and effort is great, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Demvry!
    I like how you used colour, I also like how you put a link, and videos, also you put the questions, that made things much easier. Next time you should put some pictures of your work, also make a flisti that would relate to your work. Besides that, everything is alright, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Demvry! I liked how you have color, link, videos, color, picture, and your question. Also, your scribe was easy to understand, and neat. But, you did a great job, so keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Job Demvry! I liked how your scribe is well organized,you put all of the things needed. Keep up the Goodwork!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowza, awesome job demvry! :)I liked how you did what you needed to have in your post. Plus, you added MANY videos. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Job demvry it was well organized and vary neat. PUt lot of video and links and picutre . keep it up

    ReplyDelete